The State Department issued a Europe Travel Alert following recent terrorist attacks. It warns citizens to exercise vigilance, be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. It specifies to exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at festivals and events.
- Follow the instructions of local authorities, especially in an emergency.
- Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
- Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
- Stay in touch with family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
- Register in the US DOS Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
- Choose flights when airports are not busy.
- Avoid American carriers’ check-in counters, use curbside.
- Wait in areas away from crowds.
- Have Situational Awareness, do not bury your head in a phone or paper.
- OODA Loop: Observe and Orient, if you are uncomfortable with what or whom you see, Decide and Act, move or report a person or suspicious object.
- Keep a hard copy of local maps in case connectivity or charge is lost on your phone.
- Dress in attire that is casual and subdued. No souvenir t-shirts, American sports teams or labels, track suits, running shoes, or anything that makes you look like a tourist.